Repair Summer Sun Damage
Unless we stay inside all season long, the odds are that we will accrue some sun damage with each passing summer despite our best intentions and sunscreen-slathering efforts. But we don't have to resign ourselves to a future of sun-induced dark spots, rough patches, sagging, and red splotches. Try these simple tips:
- Boost Collagen and Elastin with Peptides: The sun's radiation and the destructive free radicals it triggers can slow down the production of our skin's building blocks and even poke little holes into our existing stores leading to lines, wrinkles, and sagging. Using a serum with a potent mix of peptides can help preserve the collagen and elastin we already have while encouraging our bodies to produce more optimal amounts.
- "C" the Difference with Vitamin C-based Skincare: Antioxidant vitamin C is not only a powerhouse at fending off skin-damaging free radicals, but it also helps to impart radiance and fade skin discolorations while further spurring collagen and elastin production to firm and smooth skin. Try applying a vitamin C-infused serum underneath sunscreen to maximize its sun protective effects and again after sun exposure to help prevent and repair any damage.
- Keep those Skin Cells Turning Over: An accumulation of dry, dead skin cells can accentuate dark patches and uneven skin tones while creating a dull and lackluster complexion. They can also prevent our skincare's active ingredients from being absorbed and working their hardest. Incorporating a serum formulated with gentle yet effective exfoliators will help slough away those radiance-robbing, imperfection-emphasizing cells while preserving our skin's essential moisture barrier and maintaining optimum hydration levels.
- Don't Forget the Neck and Chest: So many of us are so facial-focused that we neglect to use sunscreen and skincare on our necks and chest, which often show the first signs of aging due to their paper-thin skin and scarcity of vital oil glands. So, we need to hit these spots with the same preventative and treatment products we use on our faces.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Foods laden with sugar, starch, chemicals, and saturated fats are proven to increase inflammation in the body, negatively impacting skin. The most complexion-friendly diet is also a heart-healthy one that helps us fight off skin-eroding and disease-causing free radicals. Reach for a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, foods rich in essential fatty acids such as fish, nuts, and avocados, and energizing, antioxidant-rich complex carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes.
Consider our Renewing HA Serum SOS for sun-damaged skin. Its key, highly effective repairing ingredients include:
- Our proprietary supercharged dual-weight hyaluronic acid molecules that act as sponges to attract and hold water into skin.
- PPM6: A multi-tasking polypeptide matrix technology that combines six peptides with proven antioxidants and our exclusive hyaluronic acid molecules to help safeguard skin from free radical damage and maintain optimal moisture levels while ensuring skin's collagen, elastin, and keratinocytes maintain their integrity.
- Kakadu Plum: A native Australian plant that's a rich source of free radical fighting and skin rejuvenating/repairing vitamin C without any of this potent anti-ager's potentially irritating side effects.
- Hexapeptide Leaf Extract: Works like a retinoic acid, without wounding skin, to help normalize cell turnover, spur collagen production, and strengthen skin integrity.