Beautiful Winter Skin Made Simple
The temperature is plummeting, the wind is blowing, the snow is falling, and it’s often suffocatingly hot and dry indoors—not ideal conditions for bright, supple, healthy-looking skin. But with a few simple tweaks to our everyday routines, we can keep our skin plump, dewy, and comfortable all season long. Here is our get-glowing guide.
- Go on the beauty wagon: It’s best to avoid products formulated with skin-parching isopropyl and ethyl alcohol all the time, but they can be especially harsh to winter-sensitized skin. Hydrinity products are always isopropyl and ethyl alcohol free.
- Wear Sunscreen: It may feel like the sun has checked out for the season, but the delicate structural proteins of our skin can be prone to sun damage all year, even on cloudy days. This damage can include lines, wrinkles, redness, age spots, sagging, and skin cancer. And snow can amplify the sun’s harmful effects by reflecting the sunlight on the ground up to our faces.
- Remember Your Lips: Cold winds and indoor heat can also dry lips by pulling out their water and natural oils, depleting their protective barrier function and dehydrating their surface. So, added lip hydration is essential when temperatures drop. And as tempting as it is, we should avoid licking our lips for a quick hit of moisture. The enzymes in our saliva can worsen irritation, swelling, and cracking.
- Shorten Showers and Think Warm vs Steamy: Long, hot showers and baths can strip skin of natural oils, leaving it dry and more susceptible to inflammatory conditions such as eczema.
- Ease up on Exfoliation: Scrubbing away at dry flakes may seem like a surefire shortcut to glowing skin. However, excessive exfoliation can lead to redness, irritation, and inflammation since it can damage the skin’s protective moisture barrier, which locks in hydration and keeps out irritants. We formulate our Restorative and Renewing HA Serums with Hexapeptide Leaf Extract, which works like retinoic acid to help optimize cell turnover, spur collagen production, and strengthen skin integrity without its potentially irritating side effects.
- Add moisture Indoors: Desert-dry indoor heating can zap all the moisture out of our skin. Keeping a humidifier filled and running increases the water content around our skin to help keep it dewy and comfortable.
- Hydrate with Barrier Builders: Look for ingredients that moisturize skin and shore up our protective barriers. These include hyaluronic acid, which acts as a sponge to attract and hold moisture into skin, and squalene, a natural component of sebum that works overtime to help skin retain moisture, strengthen the skin barrier, and keep it clear of pollutants and impurities. Both are key ingredients in our Restorative and Renewing HA andVivid Brightening Serums.